Join us for expertise and insight, process and practice, and collegial fun and frivolity
Star's 2019 US Conference is almost here. It will once again be held at the fabulous Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, located on the banks of the Potomac River in National Harbor, MD, just outside of Washington, DC. Events and sessions will range—as always—from the cerebral and thought provoking to the outright fun and collegial. Join us September 29 – October 1 for this can't-miss, annual compliance event. You can get full details on the conference and register here. For a sneak peek at what we have planned, keep reading.
FUN AND FRIVOLITY
Who says you can't mix business with pleasure? Star kicks off this year's conference on Sunday, September 29 with an informal evening Welcome Reception on the Gaylord's beautiful Pienza Patio. It will be your first chance to network and catch up with colleagues old and new. Beverages and light snacks will be served, but good conversation will be the evening's main course.
On Monday evening, after a day diving deep into whatever compliance topics floated your professional boat, join us on another kind of boat. One that will take you from National Harbor up the Potomac River to gaze upon the always awe-inspiring Washington, DC skyline. Plenty of food and drink will be served. And while good conversation will once again be on the menu, this time it will have to compete with the view.
EXPERTISE AND INSIGHT
Whether dispensing wisdom alone on the dais or engaged in vigorous back and forth as part of a panel, our guest speakers and compliance industry experts will keep you informed and engaged. As you peruse the conference agenda, stay on the lookout for these panel sessions and more:
- Going Global? Your Current Team May Be All You Need—This opening panel discussion will focus on strategies and solutions for scaling up your compliance operations to function as successfully globally as they do locally.
- Learn From The Best: A Talk With STAR Platform Power Users—A panel of STAR power users will share how they’re leveraging STAR in creative ways, and how they’re streamlining tasks and achieving results in ways they couldn’t have initially imagined.
- Back To The Future (1): Big Picture Challenges And Trends—The only constant is change. The GDPR, SMCR, and MiFID 2 are still very much works in progress, and data privacy initiatives are gaining steam in the US. Join us for this wide-ranging discussion and get a seer’s eye view on what the future holds for industry regulation as a whole.
- The Next Generation Of RegTech: What’s In Store?—Compliance is seeing a lot of investment in tech to create efficiencies which will reduce costs and make compliance programs more effective. Our panel of solutions providers—cultivated from a wide and eclectic range of software disciplines—will offer creative ideas and innovative use cases for the compliance space and give fresh insight into the future of compliance tech.
- Making The Modern Control Room—Control rooms are faster paced than ever, with teams more under pressure than ever to clear deals quickly and safely. Our panel of experts have all built control rooms from scratch, or consulted on such endeavors, and will offer advice and direction on how to construct a control room for the modern age.
Panelists will include: Sara Kasun of Morningstar, Inc.; Julie Carthane of Houlihan Lokey Capital; Steve Brown of PwC Capital Markets; Justin McDonald of RambleChat; Kevin Genirs of Evercore; Rebecca Adams of Capital One Financial; Melissa Da Ronco of the California State Teacher's Retirement System; April Johnson of Freddie Mac; and Jay Wayshak of the Global Code of Ethics Center of Expertise.
PROCESS AND PRACTICE
Last but not least are the STAR software sessions. This year we'll cover the philosophical to the practical. Sessions that will ask intriguing questions big and small. Sessions that will go in-depth on Star products old and new. Sessions that will look at where financial compliance is now and where it might be headed. Our extensive and still developing conference lineup includes:
- The Art Of Communication & Conversation—This workshop, run by career communications consultant Toni Purvis, will offer actionable advice for enhancing face-to-face communications. You’ll learn to better navigate conversations, and learn about listening strategies, nonverbal communication, and more.
- Security, Data Privacy & Hosting: Why Star Has Your Back—A discussion and workshop covering Star’s strategy to protect client data. Star staff will discuss hosting facilities, security controls, what to expect when Star hosts your platform, and more.
- Going Mobile With Star—A hands-on, deep dive into STAR Mobile: Star’s new mobile app. You’ll download the actual app onto your mobile phone during the session and get a guided tour of this game-changing compliance software product.
- Compliance Control Room: A Dive Into The Depths—Join Star staff for this close-up look at Star’s new control room software solution. Learn how it can help you manage information barriers, monitor and create watch and restricted lists, and more.
- STAR: The Next Generation—Fabulous back-end capability means little if a clunky user interface hampers or outright deters system use. To that end, Star is in the process of re-skinning its primary platform. Get a look at our new designs and offer your feedback.
LITTLE YET CRITICAL EXTRAS
What's a conference without the bits and bobs? The little yet critical extras that round things out? Stop by our Brainiac Bar anytime for 1:1 support with client services. On Monday, September 30, from 12:30 – 2:00 PM, we'll be offering complimentary headshots in the Gaylord's lower atrium. And at the end of Day One, we'll be conducting our annual Compliance Challenge. Full details are being kept strictly under wraps, but it can be revealed that this year's challenge will include spaghetti, string, and tape. And, of course, prizes.
All of the above is just a taste of what you'll find and what you'll experience at this year's StarCompliance US Conference. It truly is the can't-miss compliance event of the season. Ready to reserve your spot and register? You can do that HERE. See you soon!